Why Online Classes Work Better
When you think about breastfeeding courses, you may think that you need to be in-person to get the full experience. However, with the advanced technology that most people have, it is now easier than ever to enroll in online classes from your home. A lot of people’s cellphones have the capability of video calls which make it seem like you’re in person without ever having to leave the comfort of your own home!
Unlike in-person classes, you can take the class whenever it works for you and your schedule! Plus, you have the class forever! Want to rewatch it to familiarize yourself? Then, replay the class! Plus, with many of these classes, you’ll have ongoing online support from online FB groups and one-on-one phone consultations.
*This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you. See my disclosure policy here.
How to Choose The Best Breastfeeding Course Online
Now that you’re familiar with the idea of virtual breastfeeding courses, you’re probably wondering how to pick out the courses online that are worth your time. When picking a course, you should look into the credentials of the person or people who are teaching the course. You’re going to want to look for specialists such as doctors, lactation consultants, midwives, and of course, MOMs!
Something else that is important to consider when picking your class is if it is self-paced or not. This is a personal choice, but for some busy moms, a self-paced course is a necessity so that they do not get behind.
Something you may not have thought about with a virtual breastfeeding class is the support that comes from other moms in the group. This is typical of in-person classes and you may think that it is a little more difficult when you’re not seeing all of your classmates every week. However, a lot of the classes we’ll share today specifically offer a place where you can chat with your classmates and learn from each other’s unique experiences. You can also of course discuss the topics of the class to further develop your understanding.
Lastly, you’ll want to think about what exactly you want to get out of the course. You’ll find that in most of the courses, you’ll learn about more than just breastfeeding. For example, some of the courses we’ll discuss today will teach you how to soothe a crying baby and see how much milk they’re getting during the breastfeeding process.
What are the benefits of a virtual breastfeeding course?
One huge advantage of a virtual class to learn about breastfeeding is flexibility. If you have a full-time job, have other kids at home, or just don’t have a lot of free time on your hands, an online class may be easier for you to attend than the one you have to get in the car and drive to. Additionally, you won’t be risking you or the baby’s health when you sign up for an online course since you can participate in the safety of your home. Another perk is that you won’t have to worry about getting dolled up to head out to the class. You can take these classes in your pajamas if you want to!
What’s the best way to get the most out of an online breastfeeding class?
Just like an in-person class, you’ll get the most out of an online breastfeeding course when you are fully participating. For some courses, this may mean doing some work outside of “class” to prepare for the next meeting. For other courses, this may mean simply working through a set of informational videos at your own pace. No matter what online course you choose to attend, you’re going to want to make sure that you are fully invested and avoid distractions while you are in “class” to get the most bang for your buck and have set yourself up for a successful breastfeeding experience once your baby arrives.
Do you learn as much as you would in an in-person breastfeeding class?
This is a great question that you should be asking when you are deciding to take a breastfeeding course online. The short answer is yes, you can learn as much in an online course as you can in a traditional in-person course. However, you should know that this will be largely dependent on the quality of the courses that you sign up for. The great part about the courses that we are sharing today is that they are taught by highly qualified individuals who can provide you with the same education that they would in a classroom setting.
What should you know before signing up?
You should keep in mind that you are investing in you and your baby’s future when you are choosing an online breastfeeding course. You should also remember that you’ll need to carve time out of your schedule for the virtual breastfeeding course just like you would if you were taking the class in an in-person setting.
Next, we’ll share reviews of five popular online courses which we’ve taken (and give our honest reviews below!)
Lactation Link offers a Breastfeeding Basics that will start teaching you about breastfeeding in your first trimester. When you purchase this course, you’ll get access to the Lactation Link Learning Platform and all of the resources that are included. The online course itself teaches you how to start with your first feed and how to help you find breastfeeding resources in your local community.
The Lactation Link course is self-paced and does not expire so you do not have to worry about falling behind. The course is only seventy minutes long so it is a great option for even the busiest of moms.
This class is taught by Lindsey Shipley. She is an RN, Childbirth Educator, and IBCLC-certified Lactation Coach. Lindsey was a labor and delivery RN for five years and saw a need for more quality breastfeeding education that is reliable and research-based. Lindsey recognizes that every mom has different goals when it comes to breastfeeding. Lindsey has taught the class over a hundred times and will address frequently asked questions during the classes. If you have additional questions, you can schedule a twenty-five-minute session via HIPPA compliant secure video chat with Lindsey.
And if you have already given birth but just found this class, you can still learn how to latch your baby, decrease pain during feeding, and increase your confidence! You can get an itemized receipt for this class to submit to your insurance provider to see if they will cover the cost.
– This course is taught by a highly certified professional who is also a mom.
– You’ll receive a high-quality, research-based education.
– Work through the class at your own pace. The information will never expire.
– You’ll gain confidence in your skills with breastfeeding.
– Access to breastfeeding resources in your local community.
– You’ll take notes during the class that the “students” refer to as their “breastfeeding bible” and refer back to frequently after the class is over.
– This course may not be covered by your insurance providers.
– This course is on the more expensive end of the spectrum when compared to others on the list.
The Ultimate Breastfeeding Course presented by Milkology consists of thirteen videos that you can stream on-demand across all devices.
The thirteen videos are broken down into five steps:
- Step One will allow you to discover the benefits of breastfeeding and consists of four videos. These videos will introduce you to the properties of breast milk, benefits for the baby, benefits for the mom, and benefits for the family and the world.
- Step Two will help you understand the process of breastfeeding by explaining lactation and helping you master your milk supply.
- The third step will help you learn the technique of proper latching and also teach you about expressing and storing your milk.
- Step Four helps you learn what to expect in the first month and beyond while
- Step Five helps you find support and get prepared for your baby’s arrival.
- The Bonus Section includes exclusive discounts and the resources including an e-book, photo cards, and a pdf to reference with common breastfeeding issues.
You’ll also receive the Ultimate Class Notes that are perfect to print out and keep for reference after the class is over. This course comes with a thirty-day money-back guarantee. This means that if you don’t feel completely prepared after taking the entire course, they’ll give you a refund. This course is taught by Stacey who is a Certified Lactation Educator, a mom of three, and the founder of Milkology. She’s taught thousands of women how to stress less and gain confidence when it comes to breastfeeding.
– The videos for this self-paced course are divided into short chunks to make it a manageable task.
– You’ll learn from a Certified Lactation Educator and mom of three.
– This class is great for first-time and veteran moms.
– This course provides you with additional resources to follow along including notes and bonus e-book.
– The course has a thirty-day money-back guarantee if you don’t feel confident.
– An affordable option on the list.
– These videos are shorter than others on the market.
Simply Breastfeeding by Cindy & Jana
Cindy & Jana have a variety of breastfeeding courses on their website. We’re talking about “Simply Breastfeeding” today which will give you the confidence you need to try breastfeeding from the very start. This course is priced in the middle of the road when compared to other classes on this list. This class preps you for life with a baby before they have officially arrived.
Cindy & Jana point out that while breastfeeding is natural, it can be difficult for moms to learn when they are sleep deprived and exhausted after childbirth. This class never expires so you can refer back to it anytime you have questions. You can pause, rewind, and replay the videos as many times as you need to. In the course, you’ll have access to fourteen video modules.
In these modules, you ‘ll learn about a secret newborn behavior that can help you avoid the biggest mistake that can sabotage breastfeeding as well as how to avoid pain and ensure that your baby is getting enough milk. You’ll get answers to questions asked by over 30,000 be families. In addition to the courses, you’ll receive PDF guides and a community forum where you can have access to a community of other moms who are experiencing the same thing. Moms are grateful for this course because it provides research-based information which is not always the case with information that you find on the internet. Cindy and Jana are both Registered Nurses and Certified Lactation Consultants.
– This course is created by two Registered Nurses and Certified Lactation Consultants.
– You’ll receive answers to frequently asked questions by over 30,000 families.
– You can pause, rewind, and re-watch the videos as many times you need to.
– Access to a community forum where you can connect with other moms.
– Moderately priced when compared with other online classes.
– Designed to take before the baby arrives – may not be optimal for moms who have already given birth.
This course is brought to you by a team of experts including Genevieve Howland the Natural Mama, Dr. Elisa Song, Maura Winkler IBCLC, and Firefighter Tim who is an AHA-certified infant CPR instructor.
This course is designed to help more than baby books and chatting with friends. It is common for moms to be focused on the birth process instead of breastfeeding. The goal is to provide you with the knowledge you need to feel comforted and in control of your postpartum journey.
This course is fast but comprehensive. Instead of speeding through all the material, this course breaks everything down into bite-sized chunks so that you can tackle each one while still living your busy life. This course is priced lower than in-person classes.
This course doesn’t just cover breastfeeding. It covers baby sleeping, diapers, crying, playing, growing, ailments, safety, and baby gear. This course will connect you with a dynamic tribe of new mothers just like you and help you learn to care for a newborn with calm and confidence.
– A team of experts walks you through everything you need to know about your experience with your newborn.
– Comprehensive courses divided into convenient chunks that are easy to work through.
– A variety of perspectives available to teach you.
– Gain confidence in your skills as a new mom.
– Step-by-Step demonstrations provided during class.
– Priced higher than other online courses.
MilkSprout Breastfeeding Basics
This course is taught by Sarah Lang who is a Registered Nurse with a master’s degree in Interpersonal Relations, she is a Fitness and Nutrition Coach, mom of four, an IBCLC. Sarah’s course teaches you what to expect after delivery, First Latch, what to expect during your hospital stay, skin-to-skin, positioning, hand expression, what to do if baby won’t latch, what to do if supplementation is needed, pumping and bottle feeding, returning to work or school, and a live FAQ. The live FAQ is what sets this class apart from others available online. Each month Sarah does a live FAQ so you can get your questions answered in real-time. You’ll have lifetime access to the course and is a combination of talk and video material. This class is moderately priced when compared to others on the market.
– An online course taught by Sarah who is an RN and IBCLC.
– You’ll learn critical information including First Launch, skin-to-skin, and positioning.
– Live FAQ at the end of each month with Sarah.
– Moderately priced when compared with others on the market.
– Sarah helps you develop a plan for returning to work
– You may want a course with more structure for your learning style.
The Best Class is . . .
All of the classes listed here have their unique strengths. The clear winner of the round is the Mama Natural Baby Care Class because it goes past breastfeeding and prepares you for the entire experience of bringing a newborn home. You’re taught by a team of experts in the field who have years of experience, which is a critical component of choosing a great breastfeeding course. This course is on the more expensive ends, bit you’ll have access for life.
Runner up goes to…
A close second place is the Milkology Ultimate Breastfeeding Class which is a great option for moms on a budget. You’ll still learn a lot in this breastfeeding course online but at a fraction of the price.